Tourism Minister Gari Cappelli said on Sunday the number of tourists was rising by the day and that 115,000 were currently staying in Croatia, about 20% of their number at the same time last year, and that Istria, Primorje-Gorski Kotar and Zadar were the most visited counties.
Tourists are also visiting the continental counties, generating 50% of the turnover from the same time last year, Pozega-Slavonia County even 61%. This year’s tourism revenue is expected to be 30-35% of last year’s, Istria and Primorje-Gorski Kotar counties expect it to be up to 40%, with the latter generating 21% of arrivals and 29% of nights year on year now.
Speaking at a press conference in Opatija, Cappelli said 188,000 tourists stayed in Croatia on June 1-13, generating a million nights, and that this year so far saw 20% of arrivals and 24% of nights in comparison with the first half of 2019.
Forty-five percent of the tourists staying in Croatia are domestic, 34% come from Slovenia, 15% from Germany, 12% from Austria, and the Czech Republic. The top destinations are Rovinj, Vir, Mali Losinj, Medulin and Krk.
Over the past 24 hours, about 20,000 tourists have entered Croatia, Cappelli said, adding that Germany was opening its borders tonight and that its nationals would not have to self-isolate after returning home. Austria and Hungary are next, he said, adding that the most important markets in Central Europe were expected to reopen after June 15.
Bookings for July 10 and afterwards are considerably rising, there are no more cancellations, spending is rising, mostly in campsites, private accommodation and hotels, the minister said.
The minister said air routes to Dubrovnik were being arranged, that Ryanair flights to Zadar would probably be co-financed, that flights to Krk from Duesseldorf and Hamburg would start next week, that trains from the Czech Republic would arrive three times a week, possibly four, and that 10,000 passengers had been announced.