Home to over 10,000 beekeepers, 12,500 apiaries and nearly 170,000 hive colonies, bees have played a huge role in Slovenian culture for centuries. Today the country is home to a huge variety of bee-related activities, from relaxing honey massage and beehive air inhalation to staying overnight in your very own private honeycomb! Such is the strong cultural and culinary connection of Slovenians to bees that the Slovenian pavilion at Expo Dubai 2020 will present the country as the green heart of Europe, which lies at the crossroads of diverse landscapes, and where apitourism (bee tourism) and bee related exhibits will be a major feature at the pavilion.
In the leadup to Expo 2020, the Slovenian Tourist Board is encouraging UAE and Middle Eastern residents to visit Slovenia in 2019 and experience first hand the unique sensory delights, wellness benefits, educational and cultural heritage that Slovenia’s bee-keeping traditions provide tourists. To make the bookings easier and showcase the best of Slovenia’s api-adventures, the Slovenian Tourist Board has collaborated with local bee-keeping, honey industry and tourism specialists to create a special 4-day ‘Apitourism’ packaged holiday, that combines visits to Slovenia’s iconic tourist spots such as Ljubljana and Lake Bled, with apitherapy spa treatments and visits to bee farms and other bee related attractions.
Here are the top ten reasons why Slovenia is Europe’s best spot for an api-tourism adventure in 2019:
- Take an apitherapy tour – Embark on an apitherapy tour to learn all about the curative effects of Slovenia’s ancient beekeeping tradition – from honey massages to spas and tastings.
- Stay overnight in a honeycomb – In the green Savinja Valley you can transform yourself into a bee and live among the shelter of honeycomb-shaped cabins in Honey Village.
- Spoil your senses with honey– At Topolšica Spa you can experience the soothing effects of a honey spa or stay overnight in the company of bees and let the soothing buzz help send you off to sleep.
- Honey tasting trails – Slovenia produces 2400kg of honey each year. Experience honey tasting trails in Maribor and watch traditional honey lectarstvo being made in Radovljica.
- Inhale healthy beehive air – Pamper your respiratory system and inhale soothing beehive air at the apiaries in Selo pri Bledu or the Pule Estate in Dolenjska.
- Visit Radovljica – Slovenia’s ‘sweetest town’ is the ideal location for exploring Slovenia’s rich beekeeping tradition, home to The Museum of Apiculture and 600 hand-painted bee-houses.
- Take part in an api-artwork workshop– Visit Selo and meet local beekeeper Blaž Ambrožič, with the opportunity to hand paint beehive panels. You can also learn to make wax candles and inhale air directly from the hives.
- Visit the Slovenian Beekeeping Centre– Established in 1873 the centre showcases Slovenia’s beekeeping history and offers nature trails, as well as the opportunity to sample traditional honey liqueurs.
- Explore Slovenia’s vast landscapes– From the Julian Alps to the Pannonian Basin, explore native flora that makes Slovenia a haven for bees.
- An api–adventure inspired 4-day travel itinerary that includes Slovenia’s iconic tourist destinations is ready for the booking!