Every grandma knows how to cook this recipe blindfolded. Every mother tries to learn from grandma, but kids always somehow prefer the one grandma cooks. It is a very old and delicious dish that every Croatian loves.
INGREDIENTS FOR BEANS
500g Romano Beans
1 red onion (peeled and cut into very small pieces)
1 carrot (washed and peeled)
1 tablespoon of oil
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
Bit of bacon
2 tablespoons of flour
3 spoons of oil
1 teaspoon of VegetA
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon of tomato sauce
1. Pour water into a saucepan, add beans and let the beans boil.
2. When the beans are boiled, drain the water and rinse the beans.
3. Put the beans back in the same pot, then put the chopped onions, carrots and add water as desired.
4. Add bacon, pepper and oil to the beans and cover to cook the beans.
5. When the beans are almost cooked, take some time to prepare the browned flour while the beans are still cooking.
6. Put the flour and oil in a small saucepan or pan and fry it on medium heat for about 10 minutes until the flour gets a little color.
7. When the flour is fried, add the vegetables, pepper, paprika and tomato sauce and fry it for 5 minutes.
8. When it’s all cooked, add water as desired (about 400ml of water will make the dish thick). If you don’t like thick beans, then add more water. Fry it all again a little until the water is all absorbed and the browned flour mix is a bit thick.
9. Add the browned flour mix to the beans and cook it for another 20-30 minutes until all the browned flour mix is cooked into the beans.
10. When your beans are cooked, taste them and if they are not salty enough, add more salt to them.
Home-made bread and a salad made only of onions and tomatoes go well with beans.
Read the full article HERE.